As a child I never had that much of a sweet tooth, but I’ve found as I get older I enjoy a little sweet treat after dinner. Perhaps it’s because I head to the gym straight after work and in the evenings my body feels it has earned a little indulgence… Whatever the reason, this decadent chocolate mousse that showcases the natural creaminess of avocado, needs no excuse.
You’ll be amazed at how rich and satiating this recipe is, and trust me it’s sure to curb any late night chocolate cravings. Not to mention it’s actually good for you. But shhh, let’s not dwell on that. Although this recipe is not a massive portion, this mousse is very rich so it’s perfect for two, if you are willing to share…
40 grams 70% dark chocolate melted
Small pinch of chilli flakes (optional)
1 ripe avocado
1 tablespoon cacao powder
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Melt chocolate over a water bath or in the microwave (approx 2 mins), stirring as it melts. Add a small pinch of chilli flakes to the melted chocolate.
- In a food processor add the avocado, chocolate, vanilla and cacao powder.
- Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Transfer the oozy chocolate mixture into two pretty glasses.
- Refrigerate for half an hour before serving (if you can wait).
- To serve you could sprinkle crushed coffee beans, grated chocolate, seasonal or frozen berries or any fruit of your choice.
* I made some crunchy and super easy almond praline to top my mousse with.
** You could flavour your mousse with coffee, liqueur or any flavourings you can think of – but try to keep it healthy!
** If you’re vegan just leave out the melted chocolate and add extra cacao.
Avocado is a delicious antioxidant that is most commonly used in savoury dishes but thanks to its mild creamy nuttiness it can also be used to thicken desserts. Avocado can help lower cholesterol and they are high in Vitamin E and healthy unsaturated fats and Omega 3. They aide in keeping your heart healthy and also help slow down the ageing process. Can’t argue with that.